Monday, June 2, 2008

Is there a negative correlation between gas prices and highway accidents?

I believe so! I can definitely see how people will drive slower when the gas prices climb way beyond $4 mark, especially when the commute distance in the Bay Area on average is 20 miles (one way) or more (for some - significantly more).
I would love to see some day-to-day data of gas prices and highway accidents in, lets say, bay area presented on the same graph. I'm pretty sure that we would see that, while the gas price goes up, the number of highway accidents goes down. Maybe, this correlation would not be significant, but i think it's there.
I would be greatly surprised if the number of accident went up right along with the gas prices. This fact would be an indicator of irrational consumer behavior, for sure...

Mr_K

No comments: